Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Is 'G.I. Joe 3' Looking for a New Director?


Last week, G.I. Joe Retaliation director Jon M. Chu announced that he was making a live-action adaptation of the popular Hasbro cartoon and toy line Jem and the Holograms. It would come before G.I. Joe 3, which he was confirmed to direct in June of last year. But now, Dwayne Johnson claims that G.I. Joe 3 might be looking for a new director altogether.

Over the weekend, Jon revealed that the script for G.I. Joe 3 was taking longer than expected. That's why he decided to squeeze Jem and the Holograms in first. Dwayne Johnson doesn't seem to thrilled with this, claiming:

"We're still looking [for a director]."

The actor then went onto say that G.I. Joe 3 will shoot in January no matter what. And that means shooting it without or without Jon M. Chu at the helm.

"Yeah, yeah. Well, the idea is that we would start shooting G.I. Joe in January, in the first quarter of next year. That's the idea. Look, I love Jon, and I think he did a great job. I get it. He had to go on and do something else."

That contradicts this Tweet from the director just a few days ago, in which he seems genuinely excited by the project.

@briantruitt PS Joe script is getting REALLY fun just taking alittle longer.I need it 2b perfect so decided 2try &fit a crazylittle movie in

— Jon M. Chu (@jonmchu) March 21, 2014

Jon M. Chu has not yet responded to Dwayne Johnson's latest comments.

It was brought to Dwayne Johnson's attention that Jon M. Chu might be done with Jem and the Holograms in time for a January start date on G.I. Joe 3. The actor's response?

"Could be, right?"

So, for the moment, it seems unclear whether Jon M. Chu will be back or not.

G.I. Joe 3 comes to theaters in 2016 and stars Dwayne Johnson. The film is directed by Jon M. Chu.

Jem and the Holograms comes to theaters in 2016. The film is directed by Jon M. Chu.

No comments:

Post a Comment